Have you heard? There is an event everyone is talking about this weekend: Art:314. (Check out the bottom of the article for a discount code!)
This really excites me and let me tell you why: I was lucky to grow up in household where art was very important and spoken of and experienced regularly. My mother was president of the Carbondale Community Arts Association and I had volunteered at Arts in Celebration as long as I could remember. That passion continued over the year as I studied museum studies in college at SIU, making the collection of classes my minor.
Supporting your local art scene is valuable for so many reasons. Here are a few of the reasons why I think experiencing art is so important for all people:
- Art is a language everyone can understand. Racial, social and economic barriers are broken down to see a single artistic vision, enhancing cultural appreciation and awareness.
- Art is a creative outlet. Not just for the artist, but for the audience. It challenges you to see beyond the physical and observe the intention of something.
- Art is great because it’s everywhere. It comes in all forms. Everything from painting and sculpture to food and music is considered art. The list of mediums in which art is created is endless.
- It’s never right or wrong. It is all a matter of what you see, hear, experience in a piece, which is made up of your prior experiences, meaning it is different for everyone.
- It’s never too late (or too early) to experience art. Many museums, especially in St. Louis like the Contemporary Art Museum and the St. Louis Art Museum, are free to the public. (Paying for a traveling exhibition is well worth the money spent, too.) Sometimes just going to check things out and see how it makes you feel can be a fun Saturday afternoon spent.
- Art can be big or small. New or old. Famous or unknown. If you like an obscure artist instead of Rembrandt, that’s OK! It’s all about personal taste.
This weekend, Art:314 takes over the CAM and I want you to be a part of it with me. There will be a silent auction and party benefiting CAM’s Open Studios STL program and Front Room exhibition series. Join me for a twirl around the dance floor and an evening of fun. Did I mention there will be an open bar throughout the evening, too?
ORDER YOUR TICKET HERE and use code VIV6651 to receive $10 off your ticket.